At Balmain and Leichhardt, 60 places in Year 7 at each campus are made available to selective students every year. Entry is via the statewide Selective Schools test.
Entry is made by application to the campus. Talented students have the opportunity to be extended.
For more information, visit www.schools.nsw.edu.au/learning/k-6assessments/selectiveschools.php
The selective experience at SSC
The state-wide identification process uses multiple criteria, is inclusive and culturally fair, links to differentiation, is dynamic and continuous, and includes the full range of stakeholders.
Subject or year acceleration is an option if needed. Students are identified appropriately and monitored. All teachers are prepared to receive accelerated students and meet their needs.
An Accelerated Mathematics Program (AMP) is offered in Year 9. Interested students need to complete an expression of interest as part of the selction process. More information on the AMP is available from the school.
All units of work in all KLAs are differentiated to meet the needs of students with a range of abilities.
Pre tests are regularly used to determine what students already know.
Modified learning environment
- Content using superior reasoning skills
- processing using complex ideas
- products show links between ideas and evidence
- independent learning options.
Assessment and reporting
Assessment and reporting reflect the differentiated curricula.
Enrichment and extension
- College Instrumental Music Programs offer extensive opportunity for gifted students.
- Performance and exhibition opportunities in drama, dance, visual arts, theatre sports, ensembles, talent quests, festivals, college art exhibition, etc.
- Participation in excursions in Australia and overseas, competitions at State and National level, Duke of Edinburgh.
- Leadership opportunities through SRC, peer tutoring and mentoring.
- Talented Athlete Program (TAP)
- Accelerated Mathematics Program (year 9)
Organisational differentiation (separate class groups)
Year 7 & Year 8
Full-time grouping of selective students in all KLAs
Year 9 & Year 10
- Full-time grouping of selective students in core KLAs.
- Mixed grouping in elective KLAs
Year 11 & Year 12 at Blackwattle Bay Campus
Students select subjects appropriate to ability and interest. All extension HSC/Preliminary courses are provided.